The project “EnvironMental Adaptation” was approved under the Financial Framework of the Funding Program “NATURAL ENVIRONMENT & INNOVATIVE ACTIONS” launched by the Green Fund and the Ministry of the Environment. The main objective of the project is the promotion of actions for the adaptation of socially vulnerable groups towards a fair adaptation to climate change. People with mental disabilities are one of the most vulnerable population groups at high risk regarding the effects of Climate Change. “EnvironMental Adaptation” aims at the fair adaptation of the target group to Climate Change, the education of the mental healthcare providers, as well as the awareness of the citizens, in terms of a more eco-friendly approach. Τhus, the main target groups of the project are a) people with mental health issues, b) mental health professionals and caregivers.
“EnvironMental Adaptation” is being developed from the following three organisations:
- IASIS NGO, Greece, as the coordinating partner (www.iasismed.eu).
- University of Western Macedonia, Greece (www.uowm.gr).
- KINITRO NGO, Greece (kinitro.org).
However, several organisations are supporting the actions of the project:
- The ARGO Federation of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health (argo.org.gr).
- The Municipality of Nea Smyrni (www.neasmyrni.gr).
“EnvironMental Adaptation” includes the following activities:
- An opening event in Zagori, as part of the “Dive in Diversity 2021” awareness festival, with the participation of formal caregivers, mental health users, and relevant stakeholders.
- A research on the ways in which the phenomenon of Climate Change can affect mental health.
- Educational material responding to the needs analysis for mental health professionals, as well as the target group.
- A board game, as an experiential learning tool, aimed at protecting people with mental disabilities from Climate Change.
- An information and public awareness event on the connection between Climate Change and Mental Health.
- A closing event in the context of “Dive in Diversity 2022”, in which the results of the project will be disseminated, to ensure its sustainability even after the project’s completion.