With the project “Education for Deeper Social Integration” (EDSI) we plan to establish a strong international network of adult education institutions, especially those belonging to vulnerable groups. The main task of this project is the social integration of adults, especially refugees and migrants, into the mainstream society through holistic education approaches, which will investigate and also determine their potential for transfer to new local contexts. Throughout Europe various methods and strategies have been developed to tackle the refugee crisis and through this project we plan to identify the best strategies in the field of adult education targeted at refugees. In this project we will train trainers who already have basic skill sets, work on the best principles of effective and active work in the field of educating adult refugees and other vulnerable groups and helping them integrate into mainstream society and work market. With this in mind, we have formed a partner consortium, which includes organizations that are actively engaged with educating refugees and other vulnerable groups. The partners have also established strong professional networks at the local, regional, national level, through which they will attract many experts to contribute to the implementation of EDSI.
EDSI’s 5 training activities for educators will include 95 experts working in the fields of adult education and refugee integration coming from Slovenia, Greece, Bulgaria, Italy, the Czech Republic, Spain and Great Britain. These training activities will be based on informal learning methods, flexible modules, use of ICT, a lot of field work and visits to relevant stakeholders.
Goals of EDSI:
– to increase the capacity of organizations working in the field of adult education focusing on refugees
– to increase the competencies, knowledge, language and soft skills of educators who work with adult refugees and thereby to make a positive contribution to education and integration outcomes
– to collect and research examples of good and innovative practices and methods and to study the possibilities of transferring them to new local environments; to synthesize this into a toolkit and disseminate it to relevant stakeholders at the local, national and European level
– to establish a long-term network of organizations working in the field of adult education and refugees and to guarantee high quality future building projects on the EDSI legacy
– to facilitate interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral cooperation to foster inter-cultural dialogue, understanding and acceptance of diversity and to fight discrimination and radicalization in all spheres of society
Through the project we will develop the European dimension of their work and give them access to good practices already implemented in their fields of work. We will also establish guidelines for transferring these practices to new local contexts. Thus we will directly address the challenges they face and give them potential solutions for them. This effect will not only be limited to the partner organization but will be disseminated to other relevant stakeholders who will act as multipliers. The main tangible result of the project will be the development of a toolkit presenting good practices and ways to implement them. The added value of the project will increase the level of intercultural and inter-religious dialogue, better integration of refugees and an increase in the understanding of diversity as a direct result of project activities and its dissemination.
For more information please visit the projects website: www.edsi.si
And for the complete toolkit of the good practices follow the link: www.edsi.si/good-practices